Monday, March 10, 2014

Hunter or Prey, One is Easier- Guess Which!

            Well I got smacked in the face today, by the cold, harsh, hand of reality. It is definitely more fun to be the predator than the prey in this vicious job safari of the 21st Century.
            I went to my first job fair since closing our staffing company several weeks ago. Apparently karma decided that it needed to assault my ear with the same trite clichés I have been forced to use with applicants for the past year. I know that, as the employer, there are certain characteristics you are looking for in a new employee, and certain things you are not.  Someone either fits as the entire package, or they don’t. Human beings who are job hunting are boiled down to binary code. We are simply either a 1 or a 0. Hiring managers, like computers don’t care why you are a 1 or 0, just whether you meet the needs they are looking to fill in their priority. Either be the answer to their needs right now, or tell your story walkin’.
Just as I have reviewed countless resumes that did not exactly fit the position I was looking to fill, now it was my turn to get the looks of pity, annoyance, or disinterest from people who I clearly was never going to share a morning cuppa joe with. My resume did not meet the needs of the people I met today at the job fair, and I kind of expected that. I come in with a thorough resume that does not meet anything close to the entry-level positions they need filled. Several people even asked if I was willing to start at the apprenticeship level. And I answered with the same answer I have heard so many times before, that it makes no sense to take a position that will pay less than childcare costs. The response was glaring. The 20-something hiring manager without kids looked baffled, as the boss gave me a knowing nod and a chuckle, saying under his breath, “nope. It does not.” They were not there to meet me, much less hire me.
I even got to talk with a person who used to manage a staffing company. She asked me why I left the company, and I explained the quick overview. She asked what skills I have that their company  might be able to use, almost in a sympathetic desire to help one of her own. I gave a brilliant answer to what skills I have that they could use- that she clearly did not agree with, as her face visibly sunk and she replied that I should go to their website, and if I felt that they were advertising any positions that met their needs, I should just apply online. Translation, “Go away boy, ya botha me.’ 
Know what another phrase for job fair is? Cattle call. Why do companies pay $1,500 to have a table at these events? So they can send a couple of hiring managers to sift through the resumes of people looking for salary and benefits packages, in search of the people who will work for practically nothing more than a line on the resume. These managers spend the entire day collecting resumes that will likely end up in the shredder, or at the back of a file cabinet, which is essentially the same thing. It doesn’t matter if you are an expert at your craft, or even better than the people who will actually get the job that you applied for. These companies pay to be in the job fair so they don’t need to pay you a penny more than is absolutely necessary. Remember, this is a job fair, not a career fair! They want to hire entry-level positions at minimum pay. Preferably, you have minimal experience too, so that you are more open-minded to be trained (indoctrinated) into that corporate culture. Why do I know all this? I used to be on the other side of the table. I gave that same schpiel about how we are hiring for management soon. I heard that at the last table I visited. When I heard that, I collected what little pride was still littered at my feet and bolted for the exit. I gave one last glance around the room before I left, realizing that I probably would not have given a second look to most of the people who are now my peers. Alas, karma is patient, but she knows how to communicate a message.
So what’s a boy in search of work to do? The keys to the executive washroom are clearly just out of my reach, and I am too smart and determined to be an intern to some Buddy Ackerman-type. My answer to me is simple: take my time. The right work opportunity is out there, just not today.  
I am kind of lucky to be in the situation where right now, my family does not NEED the extra money coming in, in a right now, from any source possible kind of way. I have interviewed those people, and it is heartbreaking. The least employable people, ironically, are the people who need the
job the most. Just like that guy or girl on the first date, hiring executives can smell desperation like a skunk in a bed of roses.
While the additional income would be nice right now, clearly any job I got would be nothing more than a stopover. Meanwhile, I have a lifetime career waiting for me at home, and being dad is one of the best opportunities to ever enter my life. Why would I blow the opportunity to do a fantastic job at the one task I worked hardest in my life to earn? It was nearly impossible to find the perfect adult person to fall in love with; and then, starting a family is no easy feat. Becoming a dad is probably the most exciting and exhausting job I have ever earned, and I refuse to waste a singular moment of it- especially working half-time jobs with a boss who rules over me when he is done with his math homework, or a full time job with a schoolyard bully of a boss. Life is too short.
            So why do the job fair, if I know nothing is going to come of it? Because I don’t know that nothing is going to come of it. And I feel the need to keep throwing myself out there, in hopes of being a better financial provider for my family. That said, I have an amazing wife with a great career she loves. I am not going to take the first job that comes along, just to have a paycheck. I am far more important to my household as a stable parent who has the energy and focus to teach baby how to roller skate, how to ride a bike, and how to take care of themselves as responsible adults. There are so
many jobs involved with being a stay-at-home parent. If it sounds like I am undecided about my future, you are right. Right now, my brain is split in so many directions… I looooove my time with baby, but I feel like it is my duty to work, but I know that baby needs her parents, but taking a job provides financial stability, but if the job pays less than daycare costs, then we have a negative cash flow, but I am supposed to have a place to go every day, but why go someplace that hurts the family in the long run, but, but, but………

So the journey continues. Today was interesting, and gave me some great insights into myself and what I need for the short and long-term. Hopefully you also found the whole thing kind of interesting to read about.

No comments: